Monday, November 8, 2010

family: ... facts are useless in emergencies ...

Right now we're collectively skewed...


cross-eyed and...
L, by me

... exhausted...
K, by L

... not to mention easily annoyed...
Me, by L

But just one more afternoon, one more evening, one more bath and bedtime and we're no longer a single parent household, no longer quite so out of sync and off kilter.

And if there's a "take away" from this weekend, it's this: Unplanned pregnancies are to be avoided.

Which is not to imply that either of the girls were unplanned or unwanted. But I've got to say, if it can be this... challenging... with kids who are entirely wanted, I can't imagine what it would be like with a child I was ambivalent about or worse.

Which leads me to this: I believe that anyone who opposes Planned Parenthood and sexual education and contraceptive instruction for teenagers should work on getting their head out of .... the clouds.

No, I don't want the girls to be having sex at 16. Probably not even at 18. Or 20. Or 28. 30. 45... Though I know I'd be crazy to imagine they wouldn't have considered it by 12 or so. I'd strongly prefer they don't have sex until they're ready for it, and when they choose to do so, I sure as hell want them to be using contraception. And protection.

That is all I've got tonight. Good night to all the ships at sea.

No comments: