Friday, July 30, 2010

family: ... home sings me of sweet things...

Laughing Beauty

Today M and the girls get home from their extended AL stay, and I'm celebrating their arrival by taking a vacation day to clean (and go to the dentist - scheduled before they made the reservations) and shop and get the house as ready as possible for M to come in and sit down or lay in the tub or climb into bed and pull the covers over her head. As she wishes.

Because she's been solo parenting now for 10 days, and in my limited experience, I know how tiring this can be. And yet, she's sounded good when we've talked, never letting on just how drained she must be as the only parent, and this is something I value greatly about her: she always tends to put a positive spin on whatever situation she's in.

It's something I noticed when we first started dating. Ask her how things are going and her answer was typically "Great!" Ask me and I'd mumble something like "fine" or "ok." Quite a contrast! I'm still not sure what she saw in me.

I don't know how single parents manage. I suppose I would step up if I needed to do take the girls for 10 days on my own, but I highly doubt I'd be able to do so with as much positive energy as M does. That energy serves as a good example for both the girls and for me.

It'll be damn good to have them home. I'm looking forward to it. And I'm sure they will be happy to be back in their own home/beds/places too.

In the meantime:

Multi-tasking Beauties
(snacks and kicking it in FL)

No comments: