Friday, September 7, 2012

... big wheel keep on turning...


In which I do something I never intended to do, with people I love, and find unexpected joy in the doing....

The "big wheel"at dawn

A few weeks ago, on the spur of the moment, we went to dinner with some friends to celebrate a birthday and then did the "Seattle Big Wheel," which is apparently our version of the "London Eye" which is London's version of a big-ass Ferris Wheel.

In my mind, I figured that this thing was another step turning the Seattle Waterfront into a mini-Coney Island. Which means, of course, that it appeals to children much like the tinny sound of The Entertainer  played by faded pink, rusting jeeps driving slowly through summer neighborhoods hawking freezer-burned ice milk bars. In other words, as soon as they saw it being built months ago, the girls wanted to ride it. I myself had no immediate plans to do so and no real desire (and to be clear here, I don't want to go to Disneyland either), but these friends were going, and if there was anyone I'd want to ride a big-ass Ferris Wheel with, it's these friends. So we bought our tickets and joined them.

"Daddy, those ants look like people down there...."

The "seats" which are actually small, fully-enclosed cars, fit 8, so we all fit into one, and then we turned. And the girls loved it. And I actually enjoyed it quite a bit as well. Gorgeous views on a beautiful night, we got to spend time with some of our favorite folks, and I had the opportunity to re-remember that sometimes it's good to stretch oneself and do what one might otherwise avoid doing.

family self-portrait, w/ blue umbrellas

portrait of another family self-portrait

portrait of another family

Everyone had a great time, and...

I'll admit, the view was pretty cool...

And I was reminded that we're all just shadows on this earth anyway, 
so we might as well have some fun....

No comments: