Friday, April 23, 2010

family:... motion(less) pictures...

more from the series: The View from 3 Feet

K, morning
(photo probably by me)

These pictures are from K's camera and are taken by her, L, M, or me. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to know who took which one, but this one I do remember taking....

Self-portrait w/ girls
(early morning, letting mommy sleep in)

One of the most significant presents I ever got was an old Brownie camera, for my 6th or 7th birthday. Back in those days film came in rolls that required you to feed one end into the empty spool in the back of the camera and then wind until it was properly caught under itself, at which point you closed the back and could start taking pictures. Thinking about it now, I'm amazed I was able to manage it.

Photography has been an interest of mine for years, so I was pleased when K started showing interest in my camera (wanting to use it, often in the most precarious of situations, like, for example, while leaning over the railing of the West Seattle Water Taxi!). So we got her a camera and she periodically remembers it and picks it up.

L does as well. And I do. I love the uncertainty of the images. There's no focus, no control over speed or depth of field. It's point-and-shoot-and-hold-your-breath.

And sometimes the pictures are wonderful surprises:

Kitchen door, w/ sunburst
(photo by K)

And sometimes, well, they're still surprises:

Daddy
(photo by K)

No comments: