Friday, November 20, 2009

can't you hear the music?

This weekend, while solo-parenting, I had one of those transcendent moments in which everything seems to come together, and the world is wonderful. What happened is that, tired of the playlist I'd created for K&L, I switched the iPod to some live Bruce Springsteen (Live in Dublin, if you're interested), and started singing along with Erie Canal. (amazon link)

"I've got a mule and her name is Sal....

Low bridge, everybody down
Low bridge, we're comin' to a town
You'll always know your neighbor
And you'll always know your pal
If you've ever navigated on the Erie Canal"

K: That a man singing.
L: Man thinging.
me: Yeah, that's Bruce Springsteen. 'The Boss.' He sings "Froggy Went a Courtin'" (something on their playlist)
K: K like his voice.
L: Like hith voith.
me: (no words, just a happy smile.)

We wandered through the rest of the weekend singing this to each other.

One fly in the ointment: I'd been singing it "Blow bridge, everybody down, blow bridge, we're coming to a town" figuring that they were blowing a horn to let the bridge keeper know to raise the bridge. But given the rest of the lyrics, "Low bridge" makes so much more sense. Not that it'll change what we sing in OUR household. It doesn't matter. We like his voith!

No comments: