Saturday, March 12, 2022

It's been a long, long, long time...

 Like 9 6 years? Yikes! 

To be honest, some of the post reduction has been intentional. As the girls got older, I began to feel less comfortable sharing details of our lives, their lives, without their expressed willingness to have those details be shared. But I had intended at least an occasional post about what was happening in my life, like the two years we went to Kona so that I could paddle in the Queen Liliu'okalani canoe races over Labor Day weekend. This was in 2013 and 2014, and the first year our team came in 3rd in our division (not too shabby, given the size of the race and how many different teams from all over participate), and then also placed 1st in our double-hull division. The second year we came in 1st in our division (even less shabby if you ask me) and then again 1st in the double-hull the following day. 

2014 award ceremony

But I never got around to it. To be honest, a new job (in 2014), and growing girls, meant less and less time for any sort of extra curricular writing. I honestly don't know how single parents manage. I'm not particularly suited to multitasking when it comes to family/house matters. I stress while cooking, don't do well hosting gatherings, and in general need M to cover my back more often than she needs me to do so for her. In any case, I recently shared some of my old posts with the girls and we all enjoyed them, laughing out loud at times, and I got what felt like the world's best comment from K: "You know Dad, these are actually good, they're pretty funny." I'll take that!

But it got me thinking about possibly doing more writing, and one way to ramp up on that would be to begin posting here again, on occasion. The risk is low, given my audience is minuscule to begin with, and likely has dropped by 50% (so roughly 3 readers remaining?). And it seemed fortuitous that we just reached the 2nd anniversary of the Covid-19 pandemic, in that this gives me a convenient focus for at least a couple tries at new posts: "Two years ago...."

So, I'm going to kick it off with a try and see if it's any fun any longer.

1 comment:

Wendell McTravelNerd said...

Excited for your return, PVan. I was pleased to see this at the top of my feed today. Welcome back!