Tuesday, September 25, 2012

definitions: limbo / Upalup

It's another double-definition Twosday, not to be confused with a Tequila Monday. And today we bring you a definition from each of the monkeys:



limbo - noun, a large, overly long vehicle made for groups of people who want to go out in public and behave poorly.

usage:
(L and I are driving to Bakery Nouveau and we pass by a very large RV)

L: Daddy, what is that?
me: It's a large... it's a camper, a big camper.
L: Does it drive?
me: Yeah, people drive it places and camp in it.
L: Oh yeah, like a... a... limbo.
me: A limbo?
L: Yeah, it's long and ...
me (suddenly getting it): Right, like a limbo....

Upalup - proper noun, a town in western Washington that hosts the annual fair. See also, "Doin' the Upalup"

usage:
(I'm coming in the door from work and the girls come thundering out of the kitchen to greet me - is there anything better than this?!?)

me: Hey monkeys! How was your day?
K: Daddy! Daddy! I get to go to the fair!!
me: You do?
K (obviously quite proud): Yeah! My whole class is going!!
L (somewhat sadly): Yeah, her whole class.... Daddy!?! I don't get to go! (pouting now) I want to go to the fair too!
K: You get to go to the salmon hatchery.
L: I don't WANT to go to the salmon hatchery!!!
K (done with her attempts to cheer her sister): Well, I'm going to the U-pal-up fair!
L (collapsing on the floor in tears): I want to go to the fair! I want cotton candy!!
M (from the kitchen): Welcome home!

afterward: L got so worked up about not getting to go to the fair that on Thursday night she cried herself into a mess and made M promise to get her some cotton candy and bring it home. She went so far as to make M get out of bed and go write a note to herself, reminding her of this.

aftermath: On Friday, M drove the girls to school and discovered that one of the children she was supposed to drive wasn't there, so L got to go along. And get her own cotton candy. Not to mention ride on ponies, a tilt-a-whirl, and some big swings.

No comments: