Monday, May 25, 2009

Hup.... ho!

Last week I spent my Thursday evening paddling an outrigger canoe for the first time since high school, and I discovered that in spite of the stiff back and the unused muscles, in spite of the badly coordinated crew of novices (myself included), I had a great time. I'm looking forward to this week's novice practice -- every Thursday night for... I'm not sure how long.

I'd love to get out on the water more often than 1 day per week, but I also understand and accept that as beginners we novices have to put in our time and prove our serious interest. We also have to build a level of ability that will allow us to join a more experienced boat without greatly impacting their efficiency and capabilities.

I'm not sure how long that will take, nor how many of us who turned out last week (we had more than a boat's worth of novices, but some decided not to paddle) will continue to show up, but I intend to and hope to make it a regular part of my week.

The last time I was in an outrigger, we were paddling in Kahului harbor, a motley crew of Seabury students, none of whom had spent much time in an outrigger. I remember paddling in the #1 position, due mostly to my long reach and swimmer's shoulders. I also remember Eric Frederickson paddling in the canoe. I wonder what he's up to these days? His parents had a trimaran (catamaran?) in Maalaea Harbor and he was an ocean guy of the sort I envied and looked up to. Was he going to be a marine biologist? I'm not sure. I'm also not sure of any of these memories (except the bits about paddling in Kahului harbor -- we probably did that 3 or 4 different times). But it's fun to think about.

No comments: